Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Vocabulary Lesson

So here are a few fun words I've had to look up in the past 24 hours.

yurt: a circular domed tent of skins or felt stretched over a collapsible lattice framework and used by pastoral peoples of inner Asia

I read that one somewhere on the web and had to know what it meant.

halcyon: 1) calm, peaceful 2) happy, golden 3) prosperous, affluent

That one was from some dialog I heard on TV.

ablative: of, relating to, or constituting a grammatical case expressing typically the relations of separation and source and also frequently such relations as cause or instrument

No freaking clue. That word has been bouncing around my head since this morning for no reason I can rightly fathom. It's not even a word that I'd feel neat working into a conversation. I've been wondering what it meant, and now I'm just creeped out.

3 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Shanshu said...

yurt sounds made up. I think you made that up.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger PJ said...

*claps hands*

I agree...a round of claptor for that...

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Shanshu said...

CLAPTER is how it is spelled, you mook! Clapter.

Gosh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home