Friday, July 22, 2005

SCOTUS looks like SCROTUM

It's been an interesting year. A new pope got elected, which was fascinating to watch. The last time that happened I was only months old, so it was a whole new experience. Now we have to replace one of our Supreme Court justices. (bonus points if you can actually name all 9 (including the one that left) justices with out looking it up) I have only vague recollections of the last time that happened, since I was about 14 and had far more important things on my mind.

I read recently where they should have a vote on this new justice nominee sometime in September. And I honestly don't know if I can endure 7+ weeks of the whole process. Politics have been particularly draining the last couple years. And I want to keep up with things and be civic minded and all. Last thing I want is to wake up one day and read about some change: "Huh, so we're a klerostocracy now. When the heck did that happen?" But paying attention to the goings on of politics definitely does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling deep inside.

I am hesitantly hopeful that the next 7 weeks won't be hell, and I'm a little surprised it's so calm. But I'm sure before long it is going to degenerate into the usual crap. One side saying "Bush nominated him, ergo pure evil", and the other side saying "He won't do enough to overturn Roe v. Wade".

I'm trying really hard to care, but it's hard to with the past couple decisions that they've back handed the country with. Growing plants in your basement to help ease the symptoms of your eye disease constitutes interstate commerce and is therefore regulatable by Congress. Or they could just come take your house, basement and all, and build a Dunkin Donuts since the extra taxes means that its a "public usage" of the space.

Fuckers.

3 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Shanshu said...

We replaced a Supreme Court Justice?

Well, whaddya know! Learn something everyday. That shows you how much I give a crap about politics.

Blech. I'd rather watch cartoons. Ohh! Look a bunny riding a bike! hee hee!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger PJ said...

1) I just now got what SCOTUS stands for.

2) Scrotum. *giggle*

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Incidentally, (and having nothing to do with your post) Jennifer Francis (now Jennifer Bucher) says she thinks your Dad brings your golden retriever in to see her. Is that him?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home