Thursday, July 21, 2005

Short cuts make funny delays

They've done studies that show that when it comes to words, your brain is already processing it's "best guess" before you've actually finished decoding a word. You can see that in action when you're skimming a page or sign or something. You see something and think "surely that can't be what it said." So you go back and take a closer look. And yeah, it usually turns out you've transposed a character, or partially combined a couple words. Anyway, here are a couple of my more entertaining misfire's:

this is about a year old, but slapped on the front page of cnn.com was:
what I saw: "Millions flee France!"
what it said: "Millions flee Frances!"

This was back during hurricane season last year. But I honestly had an omg-wtf-is-going-on?? sort of moment. I found myself disappointed when I realized it was just the hurricane, and not some huge meteor or alien invasion.

this one was this morning on the way to work and the inspiration to the blog:
what I saw: "WE INSTALL FECES"
what it said: "WE INSTALL FENCES"

Nothing super interesting about that one. Just gross.

lastly, this one was while driving around somewhere:
what I saw: "Libertarian Church of the Incantation"
what it said: "Lutheran Church of the Incarnation"

Which I just find funny. A church of spell-casters that believes in free will and personal liberty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home