Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Irregardless, I'm fixin to warsh that mute point

I have to take a break from my midterms to point out something: moot points. They're freaking moot points. Not mute points. A mute point is a completely weird idea, something like a sharp end made from people who can't talk, or a concept that has no volume. The latest book I read actually used the phrase, and it reminded me of the fact that so many people I know refer to them as mute points. Not that I'm free from verbal gaffs, no no, far from it.

It took me quite a while to remove some of the Kansas-hick pronunciations I grew up with. Namely "warsh". I also couldn't say "root" or "roof" properly, now I can. Although, my sweetie tells me I can't say "measure" correctly, but every time I say it, it sounds exactly like the way she says it, but not to anyone but me. And of course, 9 years in Atlanta, I have picked up the dreaded "fixin" and "y'all".

One verbal habit I've had to recently stop is using the word irregardless. Basically because irregardless is not a word. And I take more than enough crap from co-workers to give them this bit of ammunition.

Then again, I still can't spell.

5 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger PJ said...

Bad Spellers of the world, UNTIE!!!

;)

-Greg

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Shanshu said...

IRREGARDLESS isn't a word? Pfffft! Next thing you know, you're going to tell me that CLAPTER isn't a word, either! "The sound of clapter from the audience was loud, and rowdy. Irregardless, the warshing performance continued, as schueduled."

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger wrmblnwrck said...

Clapter? That sounds like a sniglet:

Clapter, noun (1):
The event of both laughing and applauding at the same time.

Clapter, verb (2):
The act of transmitting a VD: "He wasn't safe and so he accidentally clapter".

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger PJ said...

That shit is awesome! By the way, Rich, if you haven't found my blog, here ya go:

pizzle963.blogspot.com

Werd.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Oh man, I wrote about this!
The worst part is...according to Webster's Dictionary, "irregardless" is correct (as correct as "regardless"). I don't get that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home