Monday, February 13, 2006

And What Did We Learn Today?

Two-fer tuesday!

I'm a big fan of no day is wasted if you learn something especially if you are able to use it. Plus I read/watch a lot of sci-fi/fantasy. Which of course everyone knows to be a horrible waste of time that would be better spent reading War and Peace, The Great Gatsby et al. Except that I have managed to find nice little nuggets of information in those such things.

Waaay back in the day, the morning before the SATs, I learned what the word "potentate" was, and it helped me on that test that very day. In one of those "x is to y as z is to ____" questions. Where did I learn this?? Reading the comics. Calvin and Hobbes to be exact.

While reading "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" I learned that the phrase "Mayday!" for when your plane is going down, actually comes from french: "m'aidez". Which is "help me".

Today at work I got to use the word "laconic" which I learned from Buffy, to describe a coworker that doesn't like to spend time explaining things. Using exotic verbage in front of your boss is a good thing it seems.

Sadly, I can't think of anything else, though I know I have more examples.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Shanshu said...

Ok so prepare to be freaked out by my insane photographic memory, when it comes to movies and TV:

The only time I can remember the word "laconic" being used in the Buffyverse was from Angel. It was when Angel and Oz meet up in LA and have a very brief conversation. Doyle asks if they are always like this, and Oz replies, "No...we're usually laconic."

So, perhaps you meant to say you learned that word from Angel, not Buffy.

Wow.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger wrmblnwrck said...

dang, quite the geekish smackdown. That is indeed the conversation I was thinking of.

Isn't there one when they're all in the library and someone describes Oz as taciturn or laconic or another fancy word that means "don't talk much"?

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Shanshu said...

Hmmm....that may be true. I admit my powers usually lean towards Angel episodes, specifically. So I'm sure there's a very good chance they talked about Oz being laconic or some derivation on a Buffy ep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home