Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Never Emotions, the Internet

Have you ever noticed the one thing that is hardest to convey through blogs/posts/email/IM is emotion. Other than maybe anger, it's very hard to make the other person(s) aware of the subtelty of your meaning. The only way around it is to pepper your message with enough emoticons and ROTFLMAO's to make the other person suspect that you're really a teenage girl drunk off power from the high from the fumes of her glitter pens. Sarcasm is especially hard to express. You almost have to say something like "sarcasm mode on" before you write, otherwise people will pounce on you like a cat on under-the-covers toes. Explaining how much of a moron you are to have that view point, etc. I like the dry almost british deadpan delivery of a sarcastic comment. Which has the added bonus of making me sound serious online, though often my comments are far from serious. I think this is why my favorite form of communication is person-to-person.

Anyhoo. Speaking of internet etiquite, does anyone else cringe when SOMEONE STARTS TALKING IN ALL CAPS? SINCE THAT'S THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT TO SHOUTING??

2 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger PJ said...

Me too. I try to explain this to some people, and they look at me like I just fucked their sister.

I'm a BIG proponant of being very specific when I write, so as to convey the emotion I'm trying to get across.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I run into this problem A LOT over email. It sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home