Sunday, October 30, 2005

There's Something Loose...It's Not a Moose

Recently Amanda and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary. This one was infinitely better than the last one since this one did not involve burying grandparents. In an attempt to do something different, I looked up what was playing at the Fox. I've lived in Atlanta for 9 years now, and have some how never managed to see a show there. When I saw what was playing I knew that was what we had to do. You see, the current show playing at the Fox is Carmina Burana. This brought back painful high school memories, but I figured that I liked the music a good bit, and even though it was a opera/ballet, I could look past that and enjoy the music.

The Fox was nice, in that 1930's retro feel. We took our seats and I noticed one thing right off the bat. It's hot. I'm in a suit, cuz it's the opera and you have to dress nice. Now I wear a suit about 3 times a year depending on the frequency of job interviews, funerals, or holidays. So I'm not exactly comfy. Plus I'm about to watch a ballet. The general male tollerance for such activity is inversely proportional to the temperature. I'm pretty sure at 60 degrees I could endure just about anything the ballet could throw at me. At 92 degrees I'm about ready to pass out. And to top that, we just found out that it's a double feature, and they'd be doing *something russian* Ballet first. Amanda suggested that it was Experimental Ballet, a concept that I momentarily could not comprehend.

Then the lights dim, the crowd goes silent. A violin player plays a long tone, pretty soon the whole ochestra is playing the same note. 15 seconds of that and the orchestra goes silent...the crowd erupts with applause. At which point I thought "Ohhh Experimental Ballet. Like quantum ballet. It's exact state can never be known. You can either see it or hear it." But seriously, did I emit a huge ettiquite faux pas by not applauding the orchestra tuning?? I mean Yay we can match C's! But then the curtain opened and the ballet ensued. It was a full out ballet assault that Amanda and I both agreed was realtively unnecessary. But impressive in it's own right. You find yourself thinking "holy shit he's actually holding her, off the ground, in that crazy position." But in the end, it did.

Finally Carmina Burana.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting, and perhaps should have done research but it was pretty cool, and involved several scenes. These scenes were, in this order:

1) Spooky monks worshiping the Wheel of Perpetual Torment near the Entrance to Hell.
2) Courting in Camelot.
3) Courting in Camelot part II.
4) Hell.
5) Sensual naked male pole-dance, in Hell.
6) Hell.
7) Courting in Camelot part III.
8) Spooky monks worshiping the Wheel of Perpetual Torment near the Entrance to Hell.

4 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger PJ said...

Holy shit, you're alive.

Glad you're back. :)

I'd write more, but I've gotta get back to my O, Fortuna sandwich.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Shanshu said...

Applause for the orchestra after tuning? Are you fucking kidding me? That's lame.

I'm hoping that they were applauding for the conductor as he came out after the tuning, and you just didn't see him. I hope.

Never saw Carmina, myself. Now I'm a bit afraid to. Thanks for the head's up.

And, is it ballet or opera?

Happy Anniversary.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hee hee ha ha. ian and I saw the Houston Ballet and they did a three-piece experimental ballet assault. The cool movement was the one where they did a whole ballet to the songs of the Rolling Stones. Way cool. Best part, the tix were free. Oh, and KC is waaaay too applause-happy so I can totally relate to that. They give a standing ovation to the guy who pulls the cords on the curtains, practically.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger wrmblnwrck said...

pizzle: its good to be back. school is eating my life lately.

shanshu: it is an opera...but performed by a ballet company.

ebeth^?: indeed standing ovations are a dime a dozen now. tune the band, standing o. dim the lights, standing o.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home